Diagnosing Sleep Apnea | Greensboro, NC
Visit Our New Greensboro Sleep Apnea & TMJ Website for more information:
Who has Sleep Apnea?
If you think you have sleep apnea, you’re not alone. Obstructive sleep apnea is a common problem that can affect people of any age and body type. The American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine reports that at least 25 million adults in the United States suffer from sleep apnea.
Although sleep apnea can occur at any age, the risk increases as you get older. While the sleep disorder is more common in men, it can occur in women too, especially during and after menopause. Having excess body weight, a narrow airway, a recessed chin or misaligned jaw all can increase the risk of sleep apnea.
How do I Know if I Have Sleep Apnea?
Perhaps the most important question to ask yourself is, are you getting a good night’s sleep? If not, try recording yourself sleeping or ask your bed partner to listen while you sleep. Pay attention to the following warning signs.
- Loud, frequent snoring – Loud and frequent snoring is a common symptom of sleep apnea.
- Breathing pauses – By definition, sleep apnea involves repeated breathing pauses throughout the night. Your bed partner may hear you gasp for breath in your sleep or may wait (slightly panicked) to hear you take your next breath.
- Excessive daytime sleepiness (the ability to fall asleep anywhere, at any time)
- Memory problems
- Irritability or moodiness
- Decreased sex drive or impotence
- Morning headaches
- Acid reflux symptoms such as indigestion and heart burn or chest pain
If you think you may have sleep apnea – don’t worry – we can help. Our team at Sandra L. Fuller, DDS can answer your questions about obstructive sleep apnea, including the process for diagnosis and treatment options, including the highly effective oral appliance therapy treatment. The first step is for you to be diagnosed by a physician – and we can refer you to a great sleep doctor to get you started. Schedule a consultation to discuss sleep apnea by contacting our Greensboro Dental Office or schedule your next visit online By Clicking HERE.